Photo of Professionals at Johnson & Johnson, Attorneys At Law

Providing Legal
Support to Our Community

Since 1998

Providing Legal
Support to Our Community

Since 1998

Staying Involved In Your Child’s Life

One of the first questions any parent has in discussing their upcoming divorce involves custody of the children. Parents want to stay involved in their children’s lives, but agreeing on custody is often complicated and stressful because it also covers a variety of decisions regarding education, religious observance, safety and welfare. If it is done right, the custody plan is in the children’s best interests and agreeable to both parents.

Since co-founding Johnson & Johnson, Attorneys At Law, Florham Park child custody attorney Sharon E. Johnson has guided hundreds of New Jersey families through family law issues, including the process of drafting custody agreements. Generally speaking, it is best for the process to be collaborative because it helps set the tone for how this newly divorced family unit will function. If this option is not appropriate, Ms. Johnson has extensive knowledge of how to protect your parental rights and children’s well-being even under the most difficult of circumstances.

Which Type Of Child Custody Is Right For Your Family?

A written agreement is the only arrangement that is enforceable in court, and there are still many different kinds of custody to consider by agreement or before the court. These include:

  • Joint custody: Couples must exhibit the ability to cooperate, communicate and agree in regard to the children. Joint does not mean living in each other’s home equally.
  • Sole custody: Often this favors the primary caregiver. Even with sole custody by one parent, the other parent may still have visiting rights.
  • Residential custody: This refers to where the children will physically spend a majority of their nights.
  • Split custody: Here the children are divided between the parents.
  • Shared parenting plan: Technically not a custody plan, a shared parenting plan outlines rights of parenting time and a schedule even when one parent has legal custody.

How Do We Change The Agreement?

Modifications are commonplace, often because families move and parents get new jobs. The needs of the kids also evolve as they age, switch schools and their interests change. Issues regarding modifications can be mediated, negotiated or litigated by a lawyer.

Contact Us To Discuss Your Custody Issues

We can be reached at 973-937-8959 or contact us online.